[Vague Avatar: The Last Airbender spoilers are vague, but possibly not vague enough]
My love of women with disabilities being awesome and interdependent together is officially out of the realm of all that is good and holy. Because, Internet, I have seen Avatar: The Last Airbender, and I want the impossible: something post-canon in which Toph and Azula have a scam-tastic
After 24 hours of thinking, I could see this working if and only if all these conditions (and those I haven't thought of) are met:
1) They're both under MAJOR threat from (probably) the same ableist asshat(s)--like someone/a group of someones who will bring them back to where they can be looked after 24/7. Which would mean that
Zuko is a jerkass and the fangirls will cry Toph's parents have learned nothing. They're clueless, but not that clueless.
2) Azula doesn't/can't just fix #1 by killing it (and Toph) with fire.
3) Each of them has skills the other doesn't, which are necessary for dealing with #1.
4) Each of them realizes (and admits) the other has skills that she doesn't and that those skills are necessary for dealing with #1 in a "Without them I am screwed" sort of way.
5) Both of them can put aside their do-it-myselfness long enough to do #4 at all, let alone think of team-uppery. (Toph has a hard enough time doing that with people who haven't tried to kill her for two seasons).
6) They would need to see each other as equals. And Azula...well, no.
7) Before 3-6 can happen, they would need lots of time to ignore each other/do horrible things to each other/ try to sell each other out to #1.
8) It doesn't end up looking like a Bugs Bunny cartoon.
9) It has a plot.
Which is, of course, beyond ridiculous. (Doing blasphemous things to canon? I've never done that.) And yet, I will
probably definitely keep thinking about this because I want it WITH ALL MY HEART. Sigh.